Everyone has heard of Auckland and Christchurch, or the sites where Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were filmed. Not everyone has heard of Lower Hutt. If you’re traveling around in a campervan hire New Zealand, you should definitely make Lower Hutt a destination on your road trip.
Located in the Wellington area on the North Island, Lower Hutt is close enough to some of the most-visited areas, so it won’t be hard for you to get to in a campervan hire New Zealand. If it’s your first time in the area, you may be looking for things to do.
There are a lot of things to do in the area, especially for those who love spending time outdoors. To ensure that you have an amazing trip, here are a few of our favorite things to do while in Lower Hutt, New Zealand:
- Go cycling on the Rimutaka Cycle Trail. If you love cycling, we have great news for you. The Rimutaka Cycle Trail is a favorite for people from near and far. From coastal sights and trails to winding rides in the rainforest, and dark tunnels, there is an abundance of unique places to ride for when you take your bike to the Rimutaka Cycle Trail. If you’ve been looking for a fun destination to visit as an avid cyclist, this is a great option for you.
- Check out art at the Dowse Art Museum. Art lovers are in luck when visiting Lower Hutt. Dowse Art Museum is a favorite for both locals and tourists alike. With contemporary art available at your fingertips and for free, you can visit this spot when you want a break from adventure and would rather see what art is like in these parts. Plus, if you’re travelling with your kids, there is a children’s area where they can have a good time as you appreciate the arts.
- Go quad biking in the Rimutaka Forest Park. Rimutaka Forest Park will offer you sweeping views of beautiful landscapes and best of all, it’s a great location for quad biking. Over hills and down valleys, the terrain is perfect for adventurers who are looking for a bit of excitement during their visit to Lower Hutt. Rest assured that this is the day activity that you want to do while in the area.
- Check out the Pencarrow Lighthouse. If you’re all about those iconic shots at beautiful places, you’ll love a photo opportunity at the Pencarrow Lighthouse. An interesting fact about this lighthouse is that it was run by Mary Jane Bennet who was the only female lighthouse keeper in the country for many years. With sweeping views of the ocean and gorgeous at sunset, we think it’s an excellent spot for the social media god/goddess who wants to have an Instagram-worthy moment.
- Take some time in the outdoors at Belmont Regional Park. As the largest regional park in the area, the Belmont Regional Park is a perfect destination for those who love anything from hiking to mountain biking and even horseback riding. From waterfalls to streams running through the valley and amazing views throughout the park, it’s a must-visit location for the outdoor enthusiast visiting Lower Hutt in New Zealand.
- Explore the area of Matiu. If you appreciate wildlife or want to know about the Maori Culture, you need to visit Matiu/Somes Island. It is both a place where you can visit unique sites like the lighthouse and memorial site, as well as the wildlife sanctuary where you’ll find native birds, reptiles, and more, Matiu is a destination that you don’t want to miss out on when visiting Lower Hutt.
- Visit the Petone Settlers Museum. If you want to get to know about the history of this area, this is a place to visit. For those who like learning things at museums, the Petone Settlers Museum offers a very unique experience for anyone who is new to the area and wants to understand how this area came to be.
Lower Hutt may not be that well-known, in comparison to other places but it is full of must-see places and a lot of fun things to do. The area is rich in natural landscapes and scenery, making it a beautiful option for those who enjoy spending time in the outdoors.
For those who are active and like to adventure, you’ll love the quad biking or cycling trails. There is no shortage of outdoor activities and tours available in the area, so don’t hesitate to book one when you’re in the area.
North Island is full of great destinations, so if you’re already planning a trip around the area in a campervan hire New Zealand, don’t hesitate to head on over to Lower Hutt. It will be worth your time, we promise.